Posts for tag: dental crowns
If you’ve got a tooth that has been ravaged by tooth decay, a dental crown is the right choice for you. Your family dentist, Dr. John Kelly, at Bethesda Row Dental in Bethesda, MD, can help you determine if a dental crown is the correct restoration for your smile.
How Dental Crowns Can Help Your Smile
When you have a tooth that has experienced decay and damage, it can take away functionality from your smile and may make it hard to enjoy the foods you love. Getting a dental crown from your family dentist in Bethesda, MD, can help strengthen your damaged teeth. A crown completely covers the damaged tooth so it becomes a healthy tooth once again.
A crown can be made of porcelain, metal, or porcelain-fused-to-metal, with porcelain being the most natural-looking. Porcelain crowns can be color-matched to the rest of your smile and will be able to blend seamlessly with the rest of your smile. Dental crowns are also custom-made to match the shape and size of the rest of your teeth and fit perfectly in your smile.
Getting a dental crown from your family dentist will take at least two appointments. The first appointment will be to design your crown as well as prep your tooth for the next appointment. While your crown is being made, your dentist will be able to cover your tooth with a temporary crown to keep your tooth protected and strong.
Once your tooth is fully protected by your permanent crown, you’ll be able to eat and chew without any issues and you’ll restore functionality to your teeth.
Contact Your Family Dentist Today!
If you struggle with a damaged or decayed tooth, a dental crown may be the best choice to restore your smile! Contact Dr. Kelly at Bethesda Row Dental in Bethesda, MD, today at (301) 657-3220.
There are many instances where a dental crown may be required. Even people who follow a regular oral hygiene routine may find themselves with damaged, chipped or cracked teeth. However, with the help of a Bethesda Family dentist, Dr. John Kelly at Bethesda Row Dental in Bethesda, MD, your smile can be repaired. With a comprehensive dental exam, he can determine which of your teeth require dental crowns.
Reasons for Dental Crowns
Dental crowns are a great treatment method for those looking to strengthen their teeth and to restore the appearance of their smile. Here are some of the instances where your Bethesda Family Dentist in Bethesda, MD, may suggest a dental crown:
- Root Canal: After root canal treatment, the tooth is left hallowed out, requiring a dental crown to prevent it from breaking.
- Large filling: Oftentimes when a tooth has a large cavity, a crown is used to cover it. This is because this size filling makes it so weak that it is prone to break.
- Trauma: Because of trauma, broken cusps may occur. Since these are part of the tooth, they will need to be covered to prevent breaking or future cavities.
- Excessive wear: If a person has a habit of chewing on things such as ice or grinding their teeth, their teeth can become shorter over time. This requires dental crowns to restore the height of the tooth for the proper bite.
- Dental Implants: Crowns can also be placed on implants to restore any spaces left from missing teeth in the mouth. A bridge is sometimes used too.
Ultimately, dental crowns can give your natural teeth a longer shelf life. They are helpful for a variety of dental situations. With the help of a Bethesda Family dentist, Dr. Kelly at Bethesda Row Dental, your smile can be restored with this simple dental treatment option. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Kelly today, call 301-657-3220.