Posts for tag: dental crowns
There are many instances where a dental crown may be required. Even people who follow a regular oral hygiene routine may find themselves with damaged, chipped or cracked teeth. However, with the help of a Bethesda Family dentist, Dr. John Kelly at Bethesda Row Dental in Bethesda, MD, your smile can be repaired. With a comprehensive dental exam, he can determine which of your teeth require dental crowns.
Reasons for Dental Crowns
Dental crowns are a great treatment method for those looking to strengthen their teeth and to restore the appearance of their smile. Here are some of the instances where your Bethesda Family Dentist in Bethesda, MD, may suggest a dental crown:
- Root Canal: After root canal treatment, the tooth is left hallowed out, requiring a dental crown to prevent it from breaking.
- Large filling: Oftentimes when a tooth has a large cavity, a crown is used to cover it. This is because this size filling makes it so weak that it is prone to break.
- Trauma: Because of trauma, broken cusps may occur. Since these are part of the tooth, they will need to be covered to prevent breaking or future cavities.
- Excessive wear: If a person has a habit of chewing on things such as ice or grinding their teeth, their teeth can become shorter over time. This requires dental crowns to restore the height of the tooth for the proper bite.
- Dental Implants: Crowns can also be placed on implants to restore any spaces left from missing teeth in the mouth. A bridge is sometimes used too.
Ultimately, dental crowns can give your natural teeth a longer shelf life. They are helpful for a variety of dental situations. With the help of a Bethesda Family dentist, Dr. Kelly at Bethesda Row Dental, your smile can be restored with this simple dental treatment option. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Kelly today, call 301-657-3220.